I’m not a cook, but I’ve been forced to stay at home, and here’s my favorite dinner recipe.
- 1 medium onion
- 2-6 bagged sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange), or 1 large red pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 5-6 snap peas or snow peas, broken into pieces (if available)
- 3-4 large chopped mushrooms (if available)
- ½ cup jarred spaghetti sauce (brand of your choice)
- ½ to 2 large jalapenos (depending on spiciness, which varies with the season)
- 1 Tablespoon Siracha sauce
- 2 ounces pre-cooked meat (anything from ham to turkey or even, in these times, canned chicken)
- 1/3 can black, kidney, or pinto beans
- 1 ounce sliced mozzarella cheese (or one stick, string cheese)
- salt, pepper, and dried mustard, to taste
- 2 ounces whole wheat pasta
Mix ingredients other than cheese and spaghetti in 1½ quart pot on fairly high heat. Add enough water to prevent burning/sticking. Reduce heat when mix starts to simmer, adding water as needed.
While ingredients are heating up, boil water for pasta and cook as directed on the box. One minute before pasta is cooked, add cheese to sauce pot. Stir it in, then add cooked pasta.
Makes one hearty serving. About 650 calories and 1100 mg of sodium, if canned beans are unsalted. To reduce sodium, delete cheese and reduce Siracha sauce.